Director of Land Development
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2023
At Mosaic, our mission is to make places people love and to make those places widely available. As a tech-enabled general contractor for the residential development industry, we partner with the nation's most innovative developers to transform how communities are created and delivered. Come build with us!
Mosaic is a strong fit for individuals who are passionate about solving the upstream challenges of homebuilding, and who thrive in cross-disciplinary teams of software developers, designers, and construction managers.
About This Opportunity:
Mosaic's Operations team is growing and we're looking for a highly experienced Director of Land Development to support this growth. In this role, the Director of Land Development will manage our Land Development team and will oversee the development of raw land and amenities into new communities across Mosaic's markets. This position will report to Mosaic's Executive Vice President of Operations and work in close collaboration with Mosaic's Regional Directors of Operations to coordinate all aspects of Land Development design, value engineering, permitting, contracting, and construction management, ensuring all work is of the highest quality.
We Are Looking For Candidates Who Demonstrate:
- Team leadership and culture development skills and ability to foster high levels of performance and maintain engagement across their assigned employee base.
- Strong interpersonal skills & an aptitude for diplomacy.
- The ability to identifying and address root cause issues proactively and with a sense of urgency.
- A keen focus on customer service – takes the time to understand the needs of our trade partners and individual stakeholder.
- An aptitude towards goal setting and prioritization.
- Tech savvy - Comfortable using technology on a daily process to simplify work processes.
- Strategic thinking and the desire to look for new/better ways to manage our domestic book of business.
- Lead and mentor Land Development staff with a focus on maintaining Mosaic’s culture of support, transparent communication, and sharing of feedback.
- Create, review, and value engineer conceptual land development budgets, schedules, and phasing for all potential customers in conjunction with market and regional Land Development staff.
- Review, monitor and assist with all horizontal schedules, budgets, vendors, VE review of plans, and contractors.
- Participate in the early stages of community design, ensuring competitive and efficient site layouts and designs.
- Analyze land development products, assuring availability and cost effectiveness of each item and suggesting alternates where appropriate.
- Participate in the design and review of land plans, geotechnical evaluations, civil improvement plans, landscape plans, and project specifications necessary to align horizontal and vertical construction of the community; a heavy focus will be
- on mid to high density Build to Rent land development communities.
- Assist all market horizontal and vertical Project Managers to coordinate land development designs and construction with a focus on eliminating the possibility of double counting or missing items.
- Provide ongoing oversight and recommendations for all aspects of the development and scheduling process for infrastructure installation, inclusive of model home common areas, project landscaping, perimeter and common area walls and entries, monumentation, entry gates, parks, etc.
- Meet with jurisdictional officials prior to the start of land development installation to assure a smooth development process.
- Ensure that market project schedules and critical path sequences are accurate and up to date and identifying / reporting delays where applicable.
- Oversee issuance of scheduling updates on a bi-weekly basis.
- Ensure the tracking and communication of projected milestones to relevant internal departments and relevant external stakeholders inclusive of city officials, engineering/utility consultants, utility companies, contractors, etc.
- Oversee weekly updates provided via the land development portal (per community).
- Ensure that Mosaic always has the capacity/resources to start/complete projects committed to by the Land Development department.
- Issue monthly/biweekly reports with all pertinent land development KPI’s, for each market.
- Provide oversight, direction & management of the land development take-offs and budgeting, biding, proposal review, negotiations, and award process.
- Develop standard contract scopes of work for each Mosaic Market.
- Assure all required insurance and licensing documents are provided by all trades and consultants.
- Establish a “go-to” team of land development consultants for each Mosaic market.
- Assemble appropriate documents and plans for bid packages (boilerplate MSA, exhibits, plans, schedule A, billings, payments, etc.)
- Oversee the land development estimation and calculation of quantities from preliminary site plans/civil drawings, for budgeting and bidding.
- Manage all ongoing site issues requiring interface with Regional Directors of Operations and Land Development Project Managers; inclusive of but not limited to infrastructure installation, maintaining “As-Built” plans, drainage plans, home
- lot issues, landscaping and hardscaping improvements, maintenance, etc.
- Oversight of each community RFI/CO logs and up to date execution of documents.
- Oversee, review, and approve land Development change orders, RFI’s, project delays, etc.
- Track current market pricing for budget development and identify budget shortfall areas.
- Maintain a costing report, by market, for typical amenities to include but not limited to: Rec. land developments, leasing office, pool, spa, dog park, BBQ areas, ramadas, shade structures, mail kiosk, pocket parks, parking shade structures, trash enclosures, etc.
- Establish and maintain market specific LD bidders lists for each Mosaic market.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and national codes, ordinances, and regulations as well as company policy.
- Ensure compliance with all Safety, Air Quality, and SWPPP requirements in all markets.
- Interface with other departments to ensure constant communication regarding timing, design elements, access pertaining to project land development status, and other landscaping and common area hardscape improvements.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management/Civil Engineering or a similar focus area preferred.
- 15+ years of related experience with a deep understanding of the construction industry, civil construction, landscaping, irrigation systems, and/or training hardscape installation and maintenance.
- Knowledge of development standards and established Land Development relationships in markets across the country.
- Deep experience in SFD, BTR/horizontal apartment type horizontal and vertical construction, and high-density development required.
- Strong proficiency in estimating, bidding, and scheduling software.
Company Benefits: Mosaic offers a competitive salary, 401(K), medical dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO, and a generous number of company holidays.
Company Work Environment Philosophy: Mosaic is a flex-first work environment, meaning some of the roles are worked primarily on a remote basis with some visibility to the corporate offices while others are worked physically in the corporate office or other such assigned in-person physical hub with some flexibility for occasional remote. These schedules are pre-designed and physical workspaces pre-determined based specifically on the position and visibility needs.
EEO Statement: The equal employment opportunity policy of this employer provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, familial status, disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable federal, state and local law. This employer hires and promotes individuals solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be filled.
Role Specific Particulars:
Work Location: Can be in Dallas, Texas or the main office in Phoenix, Arizona.
Core Work Hours: 7 am - 4 pm.